Shipping later this month to qualifying supporters on Patreon will be an exclusive short story collection, Patreon Stories: Volume One, and here are my first photos of the signed trade paperback edition! I’ll post photos of the signed Limited Edition hardcover as soon as I have those, too.
This was one of the original stories I wrote just for Walking With Ghosts, but I also ended up sending it to Lilja for his Shining in the Dark anthology because I couldn’t say “no” to being part of that line-up and I had nothing else ready. The story has now been translated into 6 or 7 languages for other markets thanks to Lilja’s anthology, and seeing your name and story in another language never gets old (at least to me!).
“The Temperament of an Artist” is an extremely early story of mine, written in middle school and sent out on submission without any revisions because I was a young idiot who just couldn’t wait to mail a new story to the editors I found in the Novel & Short Story Writer’s Market. Sigh. I still owe a lot of them apology letters for sending them so many bad stories those summers when school was out.
Most of what I published in the 1990s is dead and buried in a folder on my computer for good reason, but at the time I was just having fun and trying to sell short stories like my literary heroes.
“The Temperament of an Artist” was the second story of mine to see print, published in a little paper zine in 1995 that doesn’t even seem to have existed if you search the web for information now.
I revised the manuscript a few times in high school and college, but still, I was surprised to like this one as much as I did when I opened the dreaded “old stuff” folder while considering the contents for Walking With Ghosts.
It’s not great, but it’s kind of fun, I think. Especially if you put yourself into the head of the wildly optimistic thirteen-year-old kid who wrote it while believing his work could set the world aflame.
I’ve posted my short story “Answering the Call” for my supporters over at Patreon! As a special bonus, I’m also including the first draft of my “Story Notes” that will appear in my first full-length collection later this year.
If you sign-up for Level Five on the rewards tier, you get:
1) the free monthly reads from Level One!
2) the signed Limited Edition chapbooks twice per year from Level Two!
3) the signed advance review copies twice per year from Level Three!
4) the signed Limited Edition trade paperback short story collection that will be published exclusively for Patreon Supporters once per year on Level Four — and this collection will never be reprinted in any form!
5) AND, as a supporter on Level Five, you’ll get a copy of every short story collection, novella, and novel I write, along with the anthologies I edit, for as long as you stay an active supporter at this level!
This means eBooks, trade editions, and even signed Limited Edition hardcovers. New books and reprints, they’re all yours if you want them. This applies to all books published after January 1, 2018 and ALL editions of the books except for Lettered Editions since I only get one or two copies of those. (Sorry!)
So if you want the eBook edition of my new book, it’s yours! Oh, you want the signed Limited Edition, too? That’s yours! Oh, there’s a trade paperback? Boom — it’s yours and I’ll sign it if you want!
Q: BUT WHAT DO YOU HAVE COMING OUT IN 2018?
A: Whoa, I didn’t realize this was a Q&A, but great question!
The first book due out in 2018 is the trade hardcover of The Halloween Children, my novel cowritten with Norman Prentiss. Check out the beautiful approval copy of the book in the photo below.
I’m actually probably a little nuts for offering this Reward Level because 2018 is looking to be my most “productive” year in my entire career due to a whole bunch of long-gestating projects finally being published at the same time. On tap for 2018 are:
• The Halloween Children (trade hardcover)
• Dark Screams: Volume 9 (eBook)
• Dark Screams: Volume 10 (eBook)
• Lost and Lonely (signed Limited Edition short story collection)
• The Echo of Memory (novel)
• The Suicide Diary (novel)
• Killer Crimes (signed Limited Edition anthology)
• Halloween Carnival omnibus (signed Limited Edition hardcover anthology)
• Dark Screams omnibus (signed Limited Edition hardcover anthology)
• The Zombie Who Cried Human (children’s book)
• Weak & Wounded (newly revised and expanded trade paperback)
• More Than Midnight (newly revised and expanded trade paperback)
• Dreamlikes States (newly revised and expanded trade paperback)
• Lost & Lonely (newly revised and expanded trade paperback)
So that’s the deal with Level Five!
I hope you’ll give it a shot if you can afford to send that much support my way, but I’ll totally understand if you cannot.
Every single one of you at every level is making it possible for me to spend MORE time writing and publishing my own work in 2018, so you’re all awesome in my book and your support is appreciated more than you’ll ever know.
So please feel free to sign up TODAY for the first time OR, if you’re already a supporter, you can jump to a higher level if you’d like to get even more/better rewards right away.
Also, there is a new LEVEL FIVE in the rewards program that you might be interested in. Here are the details:
LEVEL FIVE: ALL the Above PLUS a copy of every book I publish!
All of the other rewards (free reads, exclusive chapbooks, signed ARCs, an exclusive trade paperback just for supporters) PLUS you can receive a FREE copy of every new book/edition with my name on it that’s published while you’re at Level Five. This includes collections, novellas, and novels I write, along with anthologies I edit. eBooks, trade editions, and even signed Limited Edition hardcovers. New books and reprints, they’re all yours if you want them.
To sign-up or change your current level, just visit my Patreon page:
Thank you, as always, for your continuing support!