Because we have a lot of new supporters on the chapbook level this year, I’m taking a break from the “Lost Echoes” chapbook series and publishing one of my more popular standalone short stories instead. Here is a screenshot of the cover proof:
Generally speaking, the rest 2021 is going to be an extremely busy and exciting time here in the Freeman household. In addition to some new writing projects, Lividian Publications is ramping up to publish a good number of books in 2022 and beyond, and a lot of that work needs to get done this year.
Thank you for your continuing support and enthusiasm. More news to come soon!
* The review copies of Walking With Ghosts had a small printing issue, but the ARC printer is rushing me a new batch to replace those. I should be able to get all of them shipped by this time next week. PLEASE make sure your mailing address is correct on your Patreon profile page. That’s where all of the shipments get generated from. Thank you!
* RELATED NOTE: The new “Special Illustrated Artist Limited Edition” of Walking With Ghosts will list ALL of my Patreon supporters as of March 1, 2021 in a special Thank You section. Your name will appear as it does on your Patreon profile page. I’ll be downloading the list later this week for my designer, so please be sure to double-check the spelling is exactly how you’d like it to be.
* Everything for this special edition is just about ready for the printer. Glenn Chadbourne is signing the signature sheets soon, and then I’ll sign, and then everything goes to the printer for a June shipping date:
* As before, there will be a Deluxe Lettered Edition of Walking With Ghosts created by my binder for supporters on Level 7 and above. Those editions won’t ship until later in the year, though, due to the production times involved. (The binding and case making is ALL done by hand.)
* I have a new (very short) story to post this month. It’s called “The Hired Gun,” and I think you’ll like it.
* I’ve been really stuck on the editing and rewriting of The Echo of Memory, which I’ve been wanting to serialize in full on Patreon for a long time now. For those who don’t know, here’s why I’ve been working so hard on a book I first wrote back in the ’90s:
After I graduated college in 2002, Don D’Auria at Leisure and Richard Chizmar at Cemetery Dance Publications both agreed to publish the book in 2004. Leisure would publish the mass-market paperback you’d see in regular bookstores while CD would produce a signed Limited Edition for collectors.
For reasons that are no longer important, it was recommended I use the pen name James Kidman and the title Black Fire on those first editions, which I now consider a mistake. I’ve since restored my name and my preferred title.
I also received “first reader” feedback that resulted in some more rewrites and additions to the text, many of which I later realized weren’t actually helpful to the story. There really can be too many cooks in the kitchen, and the originally published version suffered from that.
That’s probably why, while revising the manuscript this past year, I realized all of the padding needed to go. The resulting draft is leaner and maybe a little meaner, what the story always wanted to be. It isn’t perfect, but you should have seen the materials I started with!
This new draft goes to my copyeditor next month, and the serialization should start again this summer. Plus: I have a special surprise planned for later this year to thank everyone for their patience.
More news soon! Thank you very much for all of your support!
This new special edition of Walking With Ghosts weighs in at a massive 488 pages and includes more than 60 illustrations by Glenn Chadbourne, along with illustrated endpapers and a full-color cover.
The print run will be limited to a maximum of 200 copies, which will be printed for anyone who is on Level 4 and above as of the end of THIS MONTH and stays there until the books ship in late spring.
HERE’S HOW YOU QUALIFY FOR THIS EXCLUSIVE SPECIAL EDITION: You can sign-up to support my Patreon page on the JOIN page over at Patreon. Select Level 4 or higher, stick around until the book is published, and you’ll automatically receive a copy!
Here are a few details about this signed and numbered Artist Limited Edition:
• 488 pages
• More than 60 illustrations by Glenn Chadbourne
• Illustrated endpapers by Glenn Chadbourne
• Full-color cover artwork by Glenn Chadbourne
• Offset printed on an acid-free paper stock with a fine cloth binding
• Hot foil stamping on the front cover and spine
• Smyth sewn to create a more durable binding
• Colored head and tail bands
• Sewn-in satin ribbon page marker
• Everyone on Level 3 and Above as of this week will receive a special Advance Review Copy I’m having printed just for supporters — not for distribution to anyone else
• Everyone on Level 4 and Above at the time of publication will automatically receive a copy of this Signed and Numbered Artist Limited Edition, which will be published as a fine hardcover and signed by Brian James Freeman and Glenn Chadbourne
Here is a mock-up that shows Glenn’s awesome cover artwork:
More news and details to come soon! Thank you very much for all of your support!
Later this year, I’ll be publishing my BIGGEST special edition yet for Patreon Supporters Only in the form of an EARLY ARTIST EDITION of my collection Walking With Ghosts.
This new special edition of Walking With Ghosts weighs in at a massive 488 pages (!) and includes more than 60 illustrations (!) by Glenn Chadbourne, along with illustrated endpapers and a full-color cover.
The print run of this Early ARTIST EDITION hardcover will be limited to a maximum of 200 copies, which will be sent to my Patreon supporters on Level 4 and above.
PLEASE NOTE: Everyone on Level 3 and Above as of this FRIDAY will receive a special Advance Review Copy of this special edition, which I’ve printed just for supporters — not for distribution to anyone else! These will begin shipping in about two weeks.
More news to come. Thank you, as always, for all of your support!
We weren’t sure if this would come together in time, but I’m pleased to report The Halloween Children, which I co-wrote with Norman Prentiss, will be published in trade paperback for the first time ever this October!
Amazon already has their copies, and Cemetery Dance will be shipping this title in time for Halloween.
More news to come! Thank you for your continuing support and enthusiasm!
About the Book:
Featuring the world’s grandest tales of murder, madness, and magic set in and around the circus by renowned authors such as Stephen King, Joe Hill, Ray Bradbury, Richard Matheson, Neil Gaiman, Kelley Armstrong, Robert McCammon, Tananarive Due, Lisa Morton, Heather Graham, Richard Chizmar, Billy Chizmar, Amanda C. Davis, Nayad Monroe, Jeff Strand, Amanda Downum, and Dominick Cancilla!
Includes the World’s First-Ever Poetry Intermission featuring written works of art by Norman Prentiss, G.O. Clark, Marge Simon, Bruce Boston, Robert Payne Cabeen, David E. Cowen, Alessandro Manzetti, Christina Sng, Stephanie M. Wytovich, K.A. Opperman, and Ashley Dioses!
For the grand finale, read with your own unbelieving eyes as Josh Malerman, author of the New York Timesbestseller Bird Box,introduces you to Dandelion Andrews, a very unusual man who hasn’t seen daylight in three months because he’s digging a hole destined to become a most unusual carnival house of horrors!
These death-defying tales aren’t for the faint of heart, but they are perfect for the long lost child hiding deep inside of you who always instinctively understood you should never trust a circus clown!
Table of Contents:
“The Night of the Tiger” by Stephen King
“Twittering from the Circus of the Dead” by Joe Hill
“The Facts in the Case of the Departure of Miss Finch” by Neil Gaiman
“The Girl in the Carnival Gown” by Kelley Armstrong
“The Great White Way” by Robert McCammon
“Herd Immunity” by Tananarive Due
“Pickled Punks and the Summer of Love” by Lisa Morton
“Courting the Queen of Sheba” by Amanda C. Davis
“The Circus Reborn” by Nayad Monroe
Title To Be Announced by Michael Koryta
“The Black Ferris” by Ray Bradbury
POETRY INTERMISSION FEATURING:
Robert Payne Cabeen
David E. Cowen
Stephanie M. Wytovich
“Buried Talents” by Richard Matheson
“The Carnival” by Richard Chizmar
“Mr. Bones’ Wild Ride” by Billy Chizmar
“Fair Treats” by Jeff Strand
“Smoke & Mirrors” by Amanda Downum
“Laughable” by Dominick Cancilla
Title To Be Announced by Heather Graham
THE GRAND FINALE: Dandy, a brand new short novel by Josh Malerman
I’ve been a big fan of their work for a while now, and I cannot wait to see what they do with my mini-collections of short stories. If your German is less rusty than mine (and mine is VERY rusty because my high school German classes were a LONG time ago!), you can view their website here: https://www.greygullpublications.de
I’ll share more news as I have it, but one thing I can already confirm is they’re generously providing me with enough contributor copies to take care of all of my supporters on Level 7 and abovewhen the books are published.
More news soon! Thank you, as always, for our continuing support and enthusiasm!